Friends is a voluntary, non-profit incorporated association whose
mission is to support the Livingston Public Library and all it represents
in our community.
goals of Friends are:
1. To encourage fuller use of the Library
2. To stimulate gifts for the Library
3. To support programs to provide activities for children, young
people and adults
4. To cooperate with the Library Trustees and the Director of the
Library in developing library services and facilities for the people
About Us: How We Support
Through our membership drive and special events Friends typically
raises about $20,000 a year.
these funds we:
• Work with the Library’s Adult Programming Department to fund our three signature series—Think Theatre, Literary Liaisons, and Music Matters.
Sponsor The Friends’ Summer Reading Program for Children and Teens. With over 900 registrants, this innovative Program uses creative presentations, innovative performers, board games and prizes to promote book discussions and encourage youngsters to keep up their reading during the summer. As former Youth Services Librarian Linda Simpfendorfer, now retired, says, “It is remarkable to see the growth of the children’s reading skills over the course of the summer program.”
• Help underwrite other Library Programs such as Tech Savvy and Lifelong Learning lectures series.
• Furnish the monies for the Museum Pass Program which provides free admission to selected
museums in the area.
• Provide for the E-Reader Experience Program which enables library patrons to borrow e-readers with pre-loaded books for adults and children.
• Support the ESL Program.
Present original programming under the Friends Guest Speakers series—programs of lecturers and authors on topics geared to both youth and adults.
Fund the subscription to the monthly book review publication Book Page. This publication is available in the Library Lobby while supplies last.
• Finance the purchase of hundreds of books and non-print media.
Contributed $100,000 to the Library Capital Campaign, making us one of its largest donors. With this commitment, we helped equip and furnish the Friends of the Library Children’s Room.